Changing of Name Solicitors

Many people want to change their name for a wide variety of reasons. It may be that they want to have the same surname as their child, they may have got divorced and wish to revert back to their previous name, or they may simply not like their given name. Whatever the reason, Lovell Chohan Solicitors can assist you with drafting the necessary documents to effect such a change of name.

It is actually perfectly legal for people to use whatever name they desire as long as their intention is not to defraud anyone. In some circumstances, however, it is necessary to be able to provide written evidence that someone has changed their name. This often comes up for example when applying for a passport or a driving licence, or when dealing with Banks or other financial institutions.

Change of Name Deed

At Lovell Chohan Solicitors we can arrange for a name to be changed by using a Change of Name Deed (sometimes referred to as a Deed Poll.) This is a formal document which can be prepared by one of our family solicitors. Once the document has been signed and witnessed it can be presented as evidence of a change of name.

A Change of Name Deed can only be used by someone over the age of 18. Changing a child’s name can be more complicated as the consent of all parties who have parental responsibility is required, or an order of the Court has been sought, and obtained prior to change.

Thinking of changing your name? Get in touch with our change of name solicitors in London

For many years Lovell Chohan Solicitors have served the London boroughs of Slough, Windsor, Eton, Hounslow, Mayfair, Twickenham, Richmond & Chiswick. Visit your local solicitors at our offices in Hounslow, Slough & Twickenham