White Collar Crime Solicitors in London
Are you being investigated for fraud or a regulatory breach? Are you facing a criminal investigation, either against yourself or into the activities and affairs of your Company? You may have been accused of pensions or benefit fraud or be worried that you are an unintentional perpetrator of a fraud and are in some way implicated?
If you have been accused of a white collar crime, are under investigation and facing criminal charges or have been arrested and detained at a police station for questioning, our expert white collar crime solicitors at Lovell Chohan in London are here to defend you around the clock, at the time when you need us the most.
We know that when you find yourself facing criminal investigation or arrest for any type of fraud or misconduct, it can be an incredibly stressful situation with potentially life changing consequences. It can be hugely damaging to your personal and professional reputation, affecting not only you but your customers and your business, also.
That is why you need expert advice from a specialist criminal defence lawyer, right from the start, to defend your rights, protect your interests and avoid the worst-case scenario. If you are detained at a police station, you will be entitled to free and immediate independent legal advice and representation from one of our qualified solicitors, no matter what the time of day.
Our expert white collar crime solicitors have a detailed knowledge of both the criminal framework and the regulatory framework in the UK and can help you with a broad spectrum of assistance, giving quick and confidential advice for crimes ranging from fraud and money laundering to regulatory breaches, pension, benefit and insurance fraud.
How can Lovell Chohan’s White Collar Crime Solicitors help?
From dedicated offices in West and Central London, our specialist white collar crime team have helped many clients who have depended upon our skill and expertise to provide round the clock advice and representation in the niche area of white collar crime defence.
Our expert knowledge and vast experience in this field means that you can be confident that your complex legal matters are being addressed in an efficient manner by experts who are highly regarded and well respected in this field.
What types of White Collar Crime Defence do Lovell Chohan have expertise in?
Our dedicated team of criminal defence lawyers believe that a committed and knowledgeable defence is essential for any person charged or accused of a crime or regulatory breach, regardless of the seriousness of the charges. With our specialist knowledge and extensive experience, we can help you build sound and strong defence arguments. We have a number of solicitors within our team who have now become specialist defence solicitors, having previously been employed as prosecutors for The Serious Fraud Office, HMRC and the Food Standards Agency. Their wealth of experience means we have an enviable reputation in dealing with the following areas of law:
- Fraudulent Trading - A charge of Fraudulent Trading is quite common when a business has failed and the Directors have been dishonest in their business behaviour and transactions. The most common situation is when a business gets into serious financial difficulty, becomes insolvent, and continues to trade when they should have ceased trading. We are able to advise and represent you in relation to business and commercial fraud whether this is as a result of investigations or prosecutions from any of the following agencies; Trading Standards, HM Revenue & Customs, The Serious Fraud Office, the Crown Prosecution Service or the Financial Services Authority.
- Money Laundering - Often there is a link between money laundering and proceeds from crime. There are several types of prosecutions whether the individual being investigated is the perpetrator of a connected crime or simply the launderer of money. Money Laundering is the term given to attempts by individuals to sanitise or disguise the illicit origins of the money and is a very serious offence which is punishable with up to 14 years imprisonment. A charge for money laundering usually arises where there is possession, disposal, transfer or concealment of property, assets or money which have been obtained or derived by way of criminal activity. Prosecutors can range from the FSA, CPS, SFO, or the Customs and Excise and they will prosecute with reference to the strict rules introduced by the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Money Laundering Regulations of 2003.
- VAT Fraud - We can assist our clients with providing defence, representation or advice in relation to charges or investigations from HMRC with respect to VAT fraud. We have acted for clients with complex investigations around Carousel Fraud or Missing Trader Intra-Community Fraud. Carousel Fraud, in the most serious sense, is the theft of Value Added Tax by organised crime gangs who exploit the way VAT is treated within multi-jurisdictional trading, typically through the trade of gold, mobile phones or computer chips and hence our experience has seen investigations span UK, EU and International countries.
- Pensions Fraud- This type of fraud can come in many guises. The Fraud Act of 2006 makes it an offence for a person who occupies a position in which he is expected to safeguard, or not to act against, the financial interests of another person to abuse that position in order to benefit himself or a third party. Such a conviction can carry an imprisonment of up to 10 years. In recent years, there has been a rise in pension fraud and scam schemes – partly as a result of some of the liberation around cashing in pension schemes brought about by The Pension Freedoms Regulations in 2015. We have seen fraud where individuals encourage people to cash in relatively safe pension pots in favour of high risk, false promise investment schemes, and we have many years of experience in defending individuals both suspected, or wrongly suspected, of being involved in pension fraud.
- Benefits Fraud - Benefit fraud investigations are usually centred around the belief or evidence that an individual knowingly received state benefits when they knew they were not entitled to them. The prosecutor for benefit fraud is the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – and we have considerable experience and success in defending cases, for example, on the grounds that there was a reasonable expectation that the individual relied on DWP to calculate the benefits and that there was no dishonesty involved in any benefit claims.
- Insurance Fraud- Insurance fraud allegations are on the increase and we have acted in defence for people who have been wholly innocent as well as for people who are guilty, and we help minimise their punishment. A typical fraud will be an attempt to manipulate an insurance company to make an insurance pay-out as a result of a staged accident, exaggeration of circumstances, falsified claim or deliberately causing damage to property.
- Confiscation Orders - We are able to advise and represent our clients in relation to confiscation orders made under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, the Criminal Justice Act 1998 or the Drug Trafficking Act 1994. If you are subject to such an order and unable to comply with the terms of the order, a breach of the order could lead to an imprisonment. Even with prison terms served, an outstanding debt from a confiscation order could still be left unsettled. We have helped many clients with applications to vary or discharge orders under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
- Restraint Orders - We can help clients with advice around restraint orders which are designed to freeze an individual’s or company’s assets in circumstances where there is a possibility of a future confiscation proceeding. We have expertise in supporting our clients with these types of complex and serious matters.
Expert Criminal Defence 24/7
Whatever the nature and circumstances of your case, whether you are being accused of a white collar offence, have been arrested, charged or released on bail, it is vital you speak with one of Lovell Chohan’s specialist criminal defence solicitors in London, as soon as possible, before you speak to police.
Our specialist team of white collar crime lawyers in London are ready and on hand to provide expert criminal defence and police station representation 24/7 to ensure your rights and interests will be respected and protected, at all times. We will always present straight forward advice that is given based upon a well-considered evaluation of your situation and we will help you to understand the full implications and consequences surrounding your case.
Our broad experience, commitment to client care and the positive outcomes we achieve for our clients, serves as a testament to the large amount of work we receive from new clients looking for an expert hand and Partner led support in this relatively niche area of the law.
Contact our Specialist White Collar Crime Solicitors in London
We will be pleased to discuss your current situation and exact requirements with you on the telephone or in person. Enquire today to see how we can help you.
For urgent specialist advice or representation for a white collar crime or to find out how our white collar crime solicitors in Slough, Hounslow & Twickenham can help you with a criminal investigation for a white collar offence, telephone our dedicated team on or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can complete our quick online enquiry form and we will get back to you, shortly.